WC doesn’t want to belittle the late U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, Foreign Service Information Officer Sean Smith, and the CIA contractors and former Navy SEALS Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty, all of whom were killed during the tragic events that occurred in Benghazi.
The Republicans who have attempted to create a scandal out of the tragedy, however, are fair game.
Most recently, the bipartisan House Intelligence Committee’s concluded that there is nothing – absolutely nothing – scandalous about “Benghazi” apart from what we knew already: that the outpost was poorly protected and that the State Department had been complacent about consulate security.
Putting that in terms we can all understand, that horse is dead. It would be prudent to dismount.
But we’re talking about Republicans here, guys like Senator Lindsay Graham (R., Denial), who told America, “I think the report is full of crap.”
Senator Graham is graphically demonstrating the Dead Horse Theory.
The print is kind of small, so in an effort to assist both his readers and Senator Graham, here are the “Advanced Strategies” offered by the Dead Horse Theory of Management:
1. Buying a bigger whip.
2. Appointing new riders.
3. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
4. Arranging to visit other countries to see how other cultures ride dead horses.
5. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.
6. Reclassifying the dead horse as life-impaired.
7. Consulting outside contractors to determine how to ride the dead horse.
8. Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.
9. Providing additional funding and/or training to increase the dead horse’s performance.
10. Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse’s performance.
11. Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than do some other horses.
12. Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.
13. And, of course… Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.
The Republicans have exhausted most of these management options for the sad events in Benghazi. They are going to have to start doubling up if they intend to ride Benghazi! into success against Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential elections.
Because it’s not about a non-existent scandal. It’s about rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth hatred of a president who does not share their priorities and a kind of pathological desperation to find some kind of quick and easy way of consigning him to a treasonous footnote of history. They’ve failed on both counts. The horse is dead.