There’s so much to thank Senator Pete Kelly for that it’s only right WC make an effort to show his appreciation. Credit where credit is due, after all.
• CH2M Hill lost the oil field services contract. Those jobs will not go to mostly non-union Outsiders. If we had a state income tax, at least we’d get a bit of benefit for Alaskans. Now, those wages are completely gone from Alaska. Senator Kelly has led the economically irrational fight against a state income tax. Thanks, Pete Kelly.
• Alaska has the second highest state unemployment rate in the nation. And it’s getting worse. The state legislature’s inexcusable dithering over addressing the economy, led by the state senate, has played a major role in the employment catastrophe. Thanks, Pete Kelly!
• Alaska’s gross state product, the total value of all the goods and services we produce, has declined for five straight years and is down 22 percent from 2011. Thanks, Pete Kelly!
• The refusal by the Kelly-led state senate to adopt a sensible taxation policy is hurting schools, services and damaging community stability. Alaska’s young folks will leave, looking for opportunities; attracting new Alaskans will get that much harder. Thanks, Pete Kelly!
• Alaska’s housing market is in decline after four consecutive years of growth. New home construction is down. All from a Recession that could have been avoided, or at least mitigated, by rational political action. But we’re talking about the Alaska Senate. Thanks, Pete Kelly.
• Personal income for Alaskans is down; the national average rose 3.6%. Thanks, Pete Kelly!
• Senator Kelly’s plan for the economy would cut $750 million more from the state budget over the next three years. Kelly has not provided details, but his no-tax plan would make the recession worse and probably eliminate 10,000 jobs or more. Thanks, Pete Kelly!
This is not a complete list of all of the things we owe to Pete Kelly. He’s spent down the Constitutional Buget Reserve, and is working on the Permanent Fund, creating a new definition of “permanent.”
He boasts the Alaska Senate he leads is the only thing standing in the way of a state income tax. That’s not a good thing. Not if you want Alaska to succeed and prosper. Not if your kids are in Alaska schools. Not if you want to have equity in your home. Not if you want a decent job.
So, yeah, thanks a lot, Pete Kelly!
(If you have equally awful things you need to thank Pete Kelly for., put them in a comment or email WC and we’ll expand the list.)